Top Rated Metal Detectors
Everyone one has had dreams of finding a buried treasure. That is why we started looking at what are the top rated metal detectors on the market. We felt that if we could just find a top rated metal detector we could retire and sit on a beach in the Bahamas. Well…that is the day dream anyway.
Of course, the beach is also one of the best places to use a top rated metal detector. There is no telling how many people of lost jewelry and coins on the beach. Just not any good places to store small items. A busy beach could be like a buffet of hidden treasure. Probably why it is common to see people metal detecting on beaches. Especially early in the morning when there are not many people around.
We think that the Curse of Oak Island television show has got even more people looking for a top rated metal detector. They not only use metal detectors to find cool stuff they also make use of waterproof metal detectors in their searches. In fact, when we first started watching the Curse of Oak Island we were surprised about how they treated their metal detectors. It not only got us more interested in writing an article on the top rated metal detectors it helped us to figure out what some of the features were that we should look for.
We had always considered a metal detector a more fragile and sensitive tool. However top rated metal detectors are surprisingly durable and there are a number of water proof metal detectors out there. If you are planning on going diving with a metal detector you are going to need a substantially higher quality metal detector. Typically, this means more expensive. During our metal detector reviews we did not specifically look for a metal detector you can dive with so if that is your intention please be sure the metal detector you choose can do that. Also, make sure they can survive the depth you intend on using them for.
In our article we are looking more at the top rated metal detectors you can use on land. These may have some water resistance but probably cannot stand up to any diving at even a slight pressure.
|Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|INTEY Metal Detector||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|INTEY Metal Detector Waterproof||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Kingdetector MD-4030 Pro||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Pro Detector MD-3009II Hobby||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|American Hawks Explorer II||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|PyleSport Metal Detector||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Fisher F22 Metal Detector||N/A||N/A||N/A|
How do metal detectors work?
In short, metal detectors work by sending and sensing electromagnetic fields. The coil sends the field into the ground and if it hits a metal object the field is bounced back up toward the coil.
Depending on the quality of the metal detector it can sense deep underground and can tell the difference between different types of metal. A high quality metal detector can even tell you about how far underground an object is.
A top rated metal detector usually consists of a similar set of parts.
- A stabilizer which presses against your forearm and helps keep the unit stead as you sweep it back and forth. The stabilizer helps you control the unit and reduces arm fatigue while you are using it.
- The control box is where most of the electronics are held. This includes the controls, speakers, batteries and the processor which helps the metal detector find metal objects and determine what they might be. There is usually also an ear phone jack for the use of headphones. Headphones are very helpful if you are in a noisy area or do not want to disturb others with your hopefully constant beeping.
- The shaft connects the control box to the coil on the metal detector. Most of the time the shaft is adjustable in order to make the metal detector comfortable for you to use.
- The search coil is the part of the metal detector that actually senses the metal. These come in a variety of sizes. A larger search coil can help you search a larger area in a shorter period of time but may increase the weight and make it difficult to search in confined spaces.
Most top rated metal detectors use one of three technologies to find metal underground.
- Beat frequency oscillation is a simple way to detect metal. The beat frequency oscillation is a system where there are two coils of wires. One large coil is in the search head and a smaller sampler coil is in the control box. Each could is connected by an oscillator which generates thousands of pulses.
- Very low frequency is one of the most popular technologies used in metal detectors. It consists of an outer coil and an inner coil. The outer coil sends out an electrical field first one direction and then another. The inner coil receives the inputs.
- Pulse induction sends powerful short bursts of current through the wire. Each time that generates a brief magnetic field.
How well do top rated metal detectors work?
Well it depends on a number of factors. Most metal detectors can detect a metal object somewhere between eight to twelve inches beneath the soil. This depends on a number of factors.
The type of metal detectors makes a difference, mainly does it use beat frequency oscillation, very low frequency or pulse induction?
Another factor in how well a metal detector works is the type of metal in an object. Iron for instance has a much stronger magnetic field than most types of metal and therefore would be detectable at a bigger depth.
The size of an objects makes a big difference even to a top rated metal detector. An object the size of a marble is much harder to find than an object the size of baseball. If the soil contains a lot of minerals it can also effect the ability of a metal detector to find metal. This can result in a lot of false signals.
Ironically, if an object has been in the ground a long time it can actually help you find the object using a top rated metal detector. The longer a metal object is in the ground the more likely it is to have a ‘halo’ around it as the object itself increases the conductivity of the soil around them.
Our guess is you are tired of reading about top rated metal detectors and want to get on to the metal detectors we rated. Below are the ones we found that we liked.
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro Metal Detector
- V-Break, Variable Tone Break point
- Pinpoint Mode with Depth Indicator
- FeTone, Adjustable Iron Audio
- Menu System with Variable Notching
- Ground Grab, Computerized Ground Balancing
- 0-99 Target-ID. 4-Tone audio ID. 7-Modes of operation. Discrimination, motion, no motion. Variable Notching.
INTEY Metal Detector with LCD Showing Detecting Depth and High-accuracy Discrimination in Oxford Carry Bag (With Multi-function folding shovel)
- ★ALL METAL MODE – Press the MODE button after turning it on, and plus sigh and minus sign is for sensitivity adjustment. It’s all-metal mode when there’s SENS shows in LCD. Pressing the key a second time, if you want to eliminate metals.
- ★DISCRIMINATION – Press MODE key to translation metals to be eliminated. When arrow point to iron/ cap, it means that those kind of metals won’t cause a reaction. 5 cents, pull ring, cap, aluminum or zinc will be removed when the arrow pointing 5 ￠or 1 ￠. Both iron and pull ring can be eliminated at the same time, while 25 cents, 10 cents, silver, gold can not be get rid of.
- ★TARGET ID & COIN DEPTH – Coin depth will shows in LCD, and it will let you know which kind of metals were detected through the arrow. There’re 3 different voice matching different metals. Volume is fixed in a proper range. Ear jack(earphone not included), provides you a chance to search treasury in noisy street or beach, free of being disturbed.
- ★HIGH SENSITIVITY – Metal can be detected once coil approach it, and there’s beep sound to remind you. Depth will showed in display screen. Rocks, minerals will disturb detection. Plumbing and metal appliances in room will affect the test results.
- ★WATERPROOF – Both the adjustable stem and the coil at the end are waterproof, so you can search for lost metal items at the bottom of a shallow pool or stream. But the display panel should be carefully away from water, or it will be damaged. If there are any problems during the installation, please contact our customer service for installation and operation guidance.
This all-terrain detector offers new and exclusive technology that makes it ideal for hunting coins, relics, caches, jewelry, and even gold nuggets in shallow water hunting, beach hunting, and more.
INTEY Metal Detector Waterproof Metal Detectors Starter Kit with Pinpointer &Discrimination Mode (Complimentary: Multi-Function Folding Shovel)
- ★All-Metal Mode &Discrimination Mode – There’re two modes for choosing, all metal mode and disc mode. With the former, all metals will be detected, while you can use the latter one for discrimination, thus iron, zinc, coin can be discriminated. Details will be listed below description. It is good for coins, jewelry, prospecting, shallow water hunting, beach hunting.
- ★HIGH SENSITIVITY – Metal can be detected once coil approach it, and there’s beep sound to remind you. The greater the movement of the pointer, the closer the distance from the metal. Rocks, minerals will disturb detection. Plumbing and metal appliances in room will affect the test results.
- ★PINPOINTER – Press the red button of pinpointer, move kit slowly, and release button when it beeps. Please wait for 2 sec, then press the button again, while keeps kit still. Try to move around slowly and release it when there’s a sound. Repeated this process, and you can find the exact location of the target.
- ★WATERPROOF – Both the adjustable stem and the coil at the end are waterproof, so you can search for lost metal items at the bottom of a shallow pool or stream. But the display panel should be carefully away from water, or it will be damaged.
- ★VOLUME &POWER – There’s an audio jack provides you a chance to search treasury in noisy street or beach, free of being disturbed and the volume can be modulated. Low battery indicator shows when batteries are needed. If there are any problems during the installation, please contact our customer service for installation and operation guidance.
This all-terrain detector offers new and exclusive technology that makes it ideal for hunting coins, relics, caches, jewelry, and even gold nuggets in shallow water hunting, beach hunting, and more.
Garrett Ace 400 Metal Detector with Waterproof Coil Plus Free Accessories
- Garrett Ace Rain Cover
- 8.5×11 Protective Coil Cover
- ClearSound Volume Control Headphones
- 2 Year Manufacturers Warranty
- Waterproof Search Coil
The ACE 400 includes a higher, 10 kHz frequency to provide better sensitivity to low and medium conductivity targets, such as gold and lead. The detector’s Frequency Adjust feature allows users to easily toggle between slight frequency shifts to help eliminate interference from other detectors or power sources.
The ACE 400 ships with an 8.5×11 DD-configuration PROformance searchcoil that has proven to be very popular with the company’s previous ACE™ 350 and EuroACE™ detectors. The ACE 400 includes five discrimination modes, electronic pinpointing, sensitivity adjustment, and High-Resolution Iron Discrimination. The ACE 400 will ship with three FREE accessories to complement the new release: an 8.5”x11” DD searchcoil cover; volume-control ClearSound Easy Stow headphones; and a new ACE Environmental Cover-up to protect the control box from rain, dust, and mud. The MSRP for the new ACE 400 is $399.95 (U.S.).
Kingdetector MD-4030 Pro Edition Hobby Explorer Waterproof Search Coil with shovel Metal Detectors
- The advantage: Using the top technology. It is widely applied ti detect underground metal objects. It is one of the most convenient and most sensitive metal detector. You deserve to have one.
- Applications: Detecting metal objects buried underground. Widely used in security check, treasure hunting, material check etc..
- Features: Two Operation Modes: All Metal, Disc；Volume – To adjust the volume level of speaker and headphone
- Details: Earphone Jack – Lets you connect headphones (not supplied) to the detector;View Meter and Pointer – The meter pointer swings to the right if metal is found.If you would like to see more details, please refer to our social video website.
- Package list: Kingdetector MD-4030 metal detector, shovel, camouflage bag, headphones, welcome guide. We promise that you can enjoy our worry-free 12-month warranty and friendly customer service.
- This MD-4030 metal detector is ideal for those who are looking for a serious entry-level machine. With your metal detector, you can hunt for coins, relics, jewelry, gold, and silver just about anywhere. This metal detector is versatile and easy to use.
Pro Detector MD-3009II Hobby Upgraded Metal Detectors Treasure Hunter
- The advantage: This MD-3009II Metal Detector uses the advanced technology. It has deep detecting depth, accurate pinpointing, easy to use and operate. It is widely applied ti detect underground metal objects.. It is one of the most convenient and most sensitive metal detector. You deserve to have one.
- Applications: Military Use, Safety Inspection, Archeology, Treasure Hunting, Beach Detection
- Features: Fully automatic. Zero motion targeting function for precisely locate a target. View Meter can be used in a noisy area, where it is difficult to hear.Waterproof search coil lets you use the detector in the shallow water.
- Detail: Sensitivity: US 50 Cent: 280mm. Indication Mode: Mechanical Indicator Mode. Stretch Length: 23-31 inches. Weight: 4LB. If you would like to see more details, please refer to our social video website.
- Package list: Pro Detector MD-3009II hobby metal detector, headphones, shove, camouflage bag welcome guide. We promise that you can enjoy our worry-free 12-month warranty and friendly customer service. NOTE: The top 500 giving a VR glasses as present, buy first, receive first.
This MD-3009II Metal Detector uses the advanced technology. It has deep detecting depth, accurate pinpointing, easy to use and operate. It is widely applied ti detect underground metal objects.
American Hawks Explorer II Metal Detector LCD Display Type of Object and Depth
- LCD displays Type of object found and depth, See before you dig Auto ground balance. Water proof coil.
- Operation modes: All Metal, Discrimination, Notch Filter
- Micro Processor controled will display type of object found.
- Auto ground balance. Comfortable arm support, adjustable aluminum stem
- Free Battery, Carry Bag and Headphone
Explorer II is a upper mid range Metal detector with LED display.
The large screen will display the type of object found with a high degree of accuracy. Very accurately distinguish a Penney nickel or quarter. It can be used in All metal mode Set to discriminate and will give you a different two different tones for Ferrous an non Ferrous metals or set it for notch filter and set it will display the target type found as coin (Quarter Dime Nickel or Penny) bottle top nail pull top ect… You will quickly learn how to ignore trash metal objects. Rugged design and comfortable handle with arm brace.
The waterproof coil will allow you search in shallow water at the beach where most Gold rings are found. It can be used in several modes: All metal mode – Just that any metal object will be detected. The sensitivity is fully adjustable. Motion Discrimination – While the detector is in motion it will emitted different tones based on the metal type detected. The signal strength will also be displayed. The sensitivity and Discrimination levels are fully adjustable. Auto Notch Filter – In this mode the detector will automatically display the type of object found. The sensitivity level is fully adjustable.
Key Specifications/Special Features: Three operation modes: all metal (to detect all kinds of metal) disc (to discriminate metal type) notch (to eliminate some objects) LCD can display # the depth of the target the sensitivity disc/notch metal type low battery (to alert user to change battery) Max. sensitivity : 14cm Current: 25mA(static) 30mA(dynamic) Three tones to indicate different types of metal Auto Ground Balance Internal Speaker Headphone jack: 1/8 Waterproof search coil: 8 inches Frequency: 6.6 kHz approx Two 9V batteries required Free Phone support. Owners manual comes in the box and can also be read online or downloaded. 1 year distributor warranty in the USA.
PyleSport Metal Detector – Waterproof Search Coil Extendable Locating Arm 41.3” to 51.2” w/ Adjustable Sensitivity and Headphone Jack – Built-in Speaker w/ Detection Ping Alert Battery Operated PHMD53
- ADJUSTABLE SENSITIVITY: Metal is detected once the coil approaches it, with an included ‘ping’ detection alert. Adjustable sensitivity at >13cm. It also has ten level adjustable discrimination and sensitivity controls.
- PINPOINTER FUNCTION: The pinpointer metal locator function allows you to hone in on your find. It effectively locates precious metals and treasures buried underground like gold, silver, iron, coins, jewelry and more.
- WATERPROOF SEARCH COIL: The coil is waterproof and submersible at 8.0’’ inch. It helps you search for lost metal items at the bottom of a shallow pool or stream.
- ADJUSTABLE STEM: The adjustable locating arm can be extended from 41.3” to 51.2”. It has a comfortable holder support and grip that makes sure the detector is easy to handle at any level of experience.
- BUILT-IN SPEAKER: Built-in speaker with detection ‘ping’ alerts. It will immediately beep to alert you when it detects metal. Also it has automatic ground balance for accuracy and reliability. Battery operated with headphone jack 3.5mm.
The Pyle PHMD53 is a fully featured and easy-to-use Metal Detector. Locate precious metals, coins and other treasures buried underground with features like a waterproof submersible search coil, (10) level adjustable sensitivity and discrimination controls, built-in speaker with ‘Ping’ detection alerts, headphone jack, automatic ground balance for accuracy, and target ‘Pinpoint’ detection ability. Battery operated, requires (6) x ‘AA’ batteries.
Metal is detected once the coil approaches it, with an included ‘ping’ detection alert. Adjustable sensitivity at >13cm. It also has ten level adjustable discrimination and sensitivity controls.
Fisher F22 Metal Detector
- For detecting coins, jewelry, and artifacts
- Features pinpoint mode
- 10 adjustable sensitivity levels
- Weather resistant
- Detects metals up to 9 in. deep
The F22 is a fully weatherproof, easy to use turn-on-and-go metal detector. It has superfast retune speed with excellent target separation and easy to use Discrimination, Sensitivity, Notch and Pinpoint features. Fe-Tone adjustable iron audio allows you to set the volume of ferrous targets lower than the volume of non-ferrous targets for increased clarity on desirable targets.
Check out some of out other BEST OF posts.
No one can deny the trill of finding something new. Hopefully it will be of value but even if it is not it does not damper the trill of anticipation when it comes to finding something not previously found. It does not matter whether you are on flat ground, the mountains or the beach you can always find somewhere to use a top line metal detector.
You can even find treasures that are literally from out of this world. Meteorites fall from the sky all the time and can be found with a top rated metal detector. The most common meteorite is called a Chondrite. They make up 85% of the meteorites that fall to earth and are made up of carbon and water.
The next most common are the Achondrites. These make up 7% of the meteorites that fall to earth and are made from stone.
Next come the Irons. These make up 6% of the meteorites that fall to earth and are one of the ones we can find with our metal detectors. The Pallasites make up about 2% of the meteorites fall to eath and are made of stone and iron-nickel. These are also great targets for our metal detectors.