We all love bread and used to it took a great deal of skill to make bread. Not anymore, since the introduction of the bread maker machine. In celebration of our love of bread we decide to write our best bread maker reviews just for you … well and for us too. I cannot tell you how hungry writing the review has made me.
So, what features should a bread maker have?
Pricing. Yes, pricing is always a factor when buying anything. But don’t you want the best home bread maker on the market? Sure, but we have good news, you can get an automatic bread maker with all the functions you need at a reasonable price. Most of the bread machines we looked at fell into the $50.00 to $300.00 range.
Brand. Normally we do not see brand as all that important, or perhaps we should say as important. When we speak of brand we are looking for a company with a history of making quality products. To make the best bread maker it helps to have a history of making consumer products. Brand is not necessarily any more important than any other factor because we have found during our reviews of other products that sometimes non main brand products are basically the same. Think about any of the generic food products you buy at the grocery store. Many times you are getting the same thing as the branded product at a lower price.
Quality. Most people think quality and brand are the same thing. While it is true that you can sometimes expect a name brand company to produce a quality product it does not mean that a non big name brand cannot produce a quality product. We look at quality in the best bread making machines just like other products we have reviewed. We want a solid machine that does not easily break or wear out over time. We do not subscribe to the throw away consumer mentality that you use it, throw it away and buy another one.
Kneading Paddles. Bread makers come with at least one paddle and many have additional/replacement paddles for other products. You might have one for dough and another for pasta. Some also have dual kneading paddles that work much better than having just one. Being able to remove the kneading paddle after the kneading cycle can also be a plus unless you want a hole in the bottom of your loaf of bread when it is baked. It does not change the way it tastes but you might be OCD enough that if you know it is there you just cannot live with it.
Delayed time. Do you want a fresh loaf of bread when you get up in the morning or come on from work? That is the advantage a delay timer gives you when looking for a top rated bread maker. We think the delay timer is a cool feature but did not give it the same rating as price and quality in our home bread maker reviews. Of course, that does not mean it is not on the top of your list. If so this a big factor for you make sure you read all the features of the bread machines in our review.
Noise. No one likes a loud machine. Most modern kitchens are in some way attached to the main family room. The last thing you want is your bread maker machine grinding around in the background. To us noise is related to quality. We have found that higher quality automatic bread makers tend to be quitter.
Alarm. When we say alarm we do not mean an ear piercing noise that shakes you to your core. We are talking about an alarm that will notify you when it is time to add fruit, nuts or other items to your bread if it requires it. The best bread making machines have this feature. Some of the more basic ones might not even though they still make great bread. We like this feature, especially if you plan to make specialty bread and you will. Even if you do not think you will want to make specialty bread I promise you will. Just wait and see. Once you start your bread making experience you will want to experiment.
Size. This determines how big a loaf of bread you can make. To us the biggest driver of this is the size of your family and how much bread you eat a week. It also affects the shape of the load of bread your bread machine products. A smaller machine will typically produce a more square shape. The larger bread making machines produce a loaf more similar to the rectangular shape we are most familiar with.
Options. By this we mean press button controls that allow you to select the type of bread you want to make. Most of the top rated bread makers have this ability. When we talk about types of bread we mean white, French, whole wheat, sweet, etc…
Here are our picks – Click on links for price information:
- Bakes a large traditional rectangular shaped 2-pound loaf; Gluten Free and Custom Menu settings will accommodate gluten free and organic baking ingredients.
- Bakes a large traditional rectangular shaped 2-pound loaf;Electrical Rating:120 volts
- Dual kneading blades to knead the dough thoroughly.
- Quick baking cycle prepares breads in about 2-hour.
- Includes a measuring cup and measuring spoon.
- Additional heater on lid for even baking.
Get performance like you’ve never seen from a breadmaker. A revolutionary heating element built into our Home Bakery Virtuoso Breadmaker changes the way you can bake bread at home. With perfectly browned crust every time, anyone can be a master baker. From novice to expert, now any home baker can take advantage of our most technologically advanced breadmaker, loaded with menu settings and options for the ultimate in versatility.
SKG Automatic Bread Machine 2LB – Beginner Friendly Programmable Bread Maker (19 Programs, 3 Crust Colors, 3 Loaf Sizes, 15 Hours Delay Timer, 1 Hour Keep Warm) – Gluten Free Whole Wheat Breadmaker
- THE REAL PLEASURE OF HOMEMADE BREAD IS CLICKS AWAY – For newbies and pros alike, simply follow the Easy-to-Follow recipes to add ingredients, click a few buttons, and then let the bread maker take care of the rest (preheat, kneading, rising, baking, etc.). – 19 Automatic Programs (BASIC, FRENCH, WHOLE-WHEAT, GLUTEEN FREE, CAKE, JAM, YOGURT, etc.) – 3 Loaf Sizes (1 / 1.5 / 2LB) up to 2-pound (for larger families) – 3 Crust Colors (Light / Medium / Dark).
- AUTOMATIC, INTELLIGENT, TASTIER & HEALTHIER – Nothing says “home” like warm, fragrant, just-baked bread. – Set the timer before leaving for work in the morning so that a warm loaf will be ready and waiting after a long day at the office. – 15-hour Delay Timer, 1-Hour Automatic “Keep Warm”, and 15-minute Power Interruption Recovery allow for fresh breads anytime. – Homemade bread is not only tastier but also healthier (fresher & less chemicals); will always put a smile on your face.
- COOKING ENHANCED DESIGN & HIGH QUALITY BUILD – The bread pan is designed to make the bread evenly dense inside out during the dough and rise steps. – 8.6 LB in weight and 13″ inches tall (H x W x D: 13″ x 11″ x 9″) – PP Food Grade Housing with Brushed Stainless Steel Accents – Ergonomic top loading lid with viewing window – Nonstick coated inner pan and handle for an easy cleaning – Non skid feet prevent the bread maker from dancing on your countertop.
- ADDED VALUES – Sleek Design and Piano Varnish in Silver Color blend in well with any kitchen decor, this attractive bread machine looks great on the countertop. – The user manual includes 19 carefully developed and easy-to-follow recipes for all the 19 programs. – Its automatic programmable features and 2LB loaf size are also great for parties, holidays, family events, daycare centers, etc.
- 650W Oster bread maker with up to a 2.0-pound loaf capacity is ideal for larger families
- 12 bread settings and 3 crust settings for making a variety of breads, dough, and jams
- ExpressBake setting bakes bread in under an hour
- 13-hour programmable baking timer for fresh bread anytime
- Large LCD display and intuitive button controls for easy operation; 40 inch cord length
Fresh-baked bread is a favorite in every home, gently filling the air with an enticing aroma and satisfying everyone’s taste buds. This electric bread maker bakes a 2-pound loaf in less than an hour with the EXPRESSBAKE cycle. Use the 13-hour delay timer for customized bake time.
CUSIBOX Bread Machine19 Automatic Programs, Programmable Breadmaker Machine with 3 Crust Color, 15 Hours Delay Time and LCD Display-Stainless, 2LB, Black
- ♥ LESS NOISE & COOL TOUCH DESIGN: the Bread Machine features fast cooling stainless steel body for dust-proof and safe cool touch, also build with low noise DC motor to keep your family good sleeping, enjoy the fresh and healthy homemade bread on the morning
- ♥ 19 AUTOMATIC PROGRAMS, 3 CRUST CONTROL AND 3 LOAF CAPACITY: the Multi-functional Automatic Bread Machine includes 19 digital settings for a variety of breads such as or French, Gluten-Free and a simple bake function for those who prefer to knead and rise separately. 3 crust color ( light/medium/dark) and 3 loaf capacity ( 1lb/1.5lb/2 lb ) to make your ide
- ♥ 15 HOURS TIMER, MEMORY AND WARM-KEEPING FUNCTION: the timing function allows you to prepare your breakfast up to 15 hours in advance 60 minutes warm-keeping and 10 minutes electric power cut off memory to ensure fresh bread every morning
- ♥ NONSTICK: the Bread Maker Machine build up with the Aluminum alloy bread pan and aluminum die casting mixing blade , both in non stick coated. The removable cover lid is easy to clean
- ♥ FDA CERTIFIED and 12-MONTH WARRANTY: food grade Certified stainless steel bread maker promise 30 days money back, 1 year replacement warranty and prompt friendly customer service in 24 hours, any problems please feel free to contact us, we assure you a satisfied solution
5 Steps to Make Your Own Homemade Bread:
1. Place your ingredients into the Automatic Bread Machine in the exact order given in the recipe;
2. Press the MENU button until your desired program is selected;
3. Press the COLOR SETTING to select the desired crust color;
4. Press the WEIGHT button to select the bread size;
5. Press the START/STOP button to start the Automatic Bread Maker.
- Automatic fruit and nut dispenser releases ingredients at the right moment during the knead phase so they are evenly incorporated within the dough. Voltage : 110–120 Volts
- Unique collapsible kneading paddle thoroughly mixes ingredients then collapses before bake phase to minimize the hole at the base of the baked loaf
- Smart lcd screen with progress indicator displaying 13 automatic settings, 3 crust colors, and 4 loaf sizes
- Loaf sizes include 1.0-pound, 1-1/2-pound, 2.0 ln and 2-1/2-pound (Family size)
- 46 step by step recipes (basic, whole wheat, gluten free, crusty loaf, sweet, yeast free, dough, jam as well custom recipe charts). Power : 830 Watts
The Custom Loaf with Automatic Fruit and Nut Dispenser
The Custom Loaf knows the baking time when you make a selection. Choose your setting, set a custom time you’d like your bread to be ready in, and it will tell you when to add in fruit or nuts at the perfect time and also customize it so that you create your own masterpiece.
Manual & Automatic Programs with LCD Display
Automatic programs include; yeast free, crusty loaf, dough/pasta & jam. 9 Custom settings to create and store your personal recipes.
Get a clear reading on automatic or manual settings’ progress from dough to perfection on the smart LCD display.
- 650W bread maker with up to a 2-pound loaf capacity is ideal for larger families
- 13 settings for making a variety of breads, dough, jams–even gluten-free bread
- 3 crust color selection options: light, medium, and dark
- ExpressBake setting bakes bread in under an hour
- 13-hour programmable baking timer for fresh bread anytime
- 2-pound loaf capacity, ideal for larger families
- 13 settings for variety of breads, dough, jams and to prepare gluten free bread
- Crust color selection: light, medium and dark
- Express bake setting bakes bread in under an hour
- 13-hour programmable baking timer allows for fresh breads anytime
Make bakery-style artisan bread at home with the Oster Expressbake Bread Maker with Gluten-Free Setting. With its compact, user-friendly design, 13 settings including express and gluten-free options, and 3 crust selections, this countertop bread maker makes it easy to bake a variety of breads whether you want cinnamon raisin bread in the morning, whole wheat sandwich bread in the afternoon, or buttery dinner rolls. This bread machine features an ExpressBake cycle that bakes delicious loaves in as little as one hour. The large LCD display allows you to easily navigate the settings, while the programmable timer lets you delay the bake time by up to 13 hours–so you can prepare ahead and enjoy a freshly baked loaf exactly when you want it. The bread maker comes complete with measuring tools, kneading blades, and delicious recipes. Ideal for larger families, the Expressbake bread maker has up to a 2-pound loaf capacity.
- 600W programmable bread maker makes 1-1/2- or 2-pound loaves
- 12 cooking functions and 3 crust shade selections for baking a wide variety of items
- Timer can be programmed to delay baking by up to 13 hours
- Large LCD display and intuitive button controls for easy operation
- Removable nonstick baking pan cleans easily
Create bakery-style artisan bread right at home–in less than an hour–with this programmable bread maker from Sunbeam. Whether it’s cinnamon-raisin bread in the morning, whole-wheat sandwich bread in the afternoon, or buttery dinner rolls to serve with dinner, the counter-top appliance makes it easy.
For a basic bread recipe, simply add measured ingredients (liquid, then dry) to the baking pan, snap the baking pan into the bread maker, and close the lid. Then make the desired selections from the user-friendly push-button control panel, and it takes care of the rest–baking up a 1-1/2-pound or 2-pound rectangular-shaped loaf to delicious perfection.
- HOMEMADE BREAD, JAM & ARTISAN DOUGH IN 3 EASY STEPS. Add ingredients, select cycle and press start. Automatic keep warm after cooking.
- 14 SETTINGS INCLUDING GLUTEN-FREE, RISE AND ARTISAN. Basic, French, Whole Grain, 1.5 lb Express, 2 lb. Express, Quick Bread, Sweet, Dough, Cake, Jam, Rise, Bake, Artisan.
- 3 LOAF SIZES, 3 CRUST SHADES & DELAY START. Choose from 1, 1.5 or 2 lb loaf and light, medium or dark crust shade. Countdown cooking timer with LCD display. Use delay timer to add ingredients and begin the baking process later.
- STAINLESS STEEL EXTERIOR & NONSTICK INTERIOR. Sleek design with stainless steel. Interior pan lifts out for easy bread removal and cleaning.
- ACCESSORIES INCLUDED. Measuring cup & spoon, kneading paddle & paddle removing tool. All dishwasher-safe.
Become a master at made-from-scratch bread with minimal effort. The Hamilton Beach Artisan Dough & Bread Maker lets you create everything from a loaf of basic white to fresh focaccia dough, without even having to roll up your sleeves to mix and knead. Just add ingredients, select the cycle, and press start. With 14 programmed settings for a variety of breads and doughs, it won’t be long before your kitchen feels like your very own bakery.
This bread maker features settings such as gluten-free and whole-grain so you can bake wholesome breads using a variety of flours. Customize your bread down to the size and shade with 3 loaf sizes and 3 crust shades. And the delay timer lets you add ingredients and begin the baking process later. The non-stick pan lifts out for easy bread removal and cleaning. Measuring cup & spoon, kneading paddle & paddle removing tool are also
There was a time when you had to find the oldest woman in the village who had the flattest rock to get good bread. Even then, it was nothing like what we have today. Back then they ate unleavened bread which does not rise to become the soft fluffy bread we all know and enjoy today. That is not so say unleavened bread is not good, it is just different. If you do not know what it is, think a pita.
Now, all you need is a top bread making machine and you are a bread making artisan.
One question that came up while writing this review was why do you need a bread maker, after all you can easily buy a loaf of bread about anywhere. So, we decided to brainstorm reasons to buy a bread maker machine.
- The smell of fresh baked bread. Nothing beats it.
- No one knows what is in food that you did not make. If you are concerned about you and your families health making as much of your own food as possible gives you the greatest control.
- Making your own bread gives you the ability to make a wide variety of breads.
- Everyone likes to try and/or invent something new. You can try different recipes and add ingredients looking for that perfect unique taste you are looking for.
- It is easy when compared to making bread by machine. The bread making machine is a great invention that saves a lot of time.
- Easy clean up. Usually only one item to clean, the pan inside the bread making machine. No dirty counters or rolling pins. No flour all over the kitchen.
Why do you want to make your own bread?
- It is cheaper. Yes you can buy some REALLY cheap bread but when we say it is cheaper we mean that if you use quality ingredients making bread in your home bread maker is cheaper than buying a high quality bread from the store.
- It is better for you. Guess this depends a little bit on what ingredients you use but at least if you make your own bread you have the choice of how good it is for you.
- You have choices. You can make whatever kind of bread you want and you have the ability to experiment.
- You can make bread based on the occasion. If it is Christmas make a Christmas bread. If you are having a party, make a party bread.
- Homemade bread just tastes better. It is fresh and you control what is in it. Make bread that fits your personal taste.
- You whole house will smell like fresh baked bread. Did we mention how much we like the smell of fresh baked bread yet?
- With a top rated bread maker you will have the option of scheduling. Plus, if you plan ahead a little bit we would argue it is faster to make your own fresh bread than run to the store to buy bread baked days or a week ago.
- Makes a great gift. Gifting homemade bread is an inexpensive, thoughtful and appreciated gesture.
It is more FUN. Making bread in a home bread maker is flat out FUN. Not only can you make your bread however you want you get to watch it bake. Even if you do not like cooking, bread making is FUN.