Best Rated Infant Car Seats
Nothing is more precious than a new baby. That is why we take a special pleasure in looking for the best rated infant car seats. There are a lot of claims out there of the safest baby car seats, that is yet another indication of just how precious our children are.
All major infant car seat brands look to achieve the safest baby infant car seat they possibly can. It is a credit to the industry that they have worked so hard with new continuous new innovations such as the convertible car seat.
The convertible car seat really took baby car seats to the next level giving you the ability to switch the car seat around to accommodate both infants (rear facing) and toddlers (forward facing). There are also some seats in our baby car seat buying guide that have removable bases giving you the option of keeping your baby in the seat as you move in and out of the car. This is really great in cold weather of if the baby falls asleep in the infant seat.
Can you believe there was a time when baby car seats were not required? Times were very different back then; back then most people did not even wear seat belts as adults. Parents just used the out stretched arm to keep children in their seats if something happened.
There are basically three types of car seats for children.
- Baby. The baby car seat should always face the rear of the car and usually have a weight limit of between 22 to 35 pounds.
- Toddler. The toddler car seat faces forward. If you purchased a convertible car seat for your baby/infant you can reposition it forward as a toddler car seat. The toddler seats are usually designed for toddlers between 40 to 70 pounds.
- Booster Seats. These are the next level of car seats. They are seat belt positioned booster type of seat that provides more security for a child not yet ready for the lap and shoulder belt alone.
One thing that cannot be underestimated is the importance of correctly installing your best rated infant car seat. Just having it does not guarantee your precious cargo will be safe. There are a number of videos on YouTube you can find regarding how to correctly install an infant car seat. You will also get directions and diagrams with your seat. If all else fails many baby car seat manufactures provide toll free numbers to assist you in seat installation.
Again, it is VERY important that you properly install your baby car seat. They only work if they are properly installed. We cannot stress that enough.
We would also recommend buying a new seat if the one you have is over five years old or if you can see anything that appears worn. If you have had is stored for a while please check for spiders and even snakes. There was a Facebook post not that long ago about a snake that was hiding in a baby car seat.
There are a number of things to consider when looking for a car seat.
Obviously safety is number one but let’s go a little deeper.
Price is an important factor. Even though none of us want to skimp when it comes to the safety of our children that does not mean we cannot find comparable products at lower prices. Being expensive does not necessarily mean a product is better from a safety standpoint. It may have more features or options but those may not necessarily add to the safety value of an infant car seat.
Getting a comfortable washable fabric is a huge plus. It is important that your baby is comfortable in the car seat and it does not have a fabric that would stick to your child. It should also not be too rough, last thing we want is the fabric to irritate a baby’s sensitive skin. Keeping it clean is also very important. Babies sometimes have accidents, so you need to be able to effectively clean the car seat. If the cover can be removed and machine washed it will make your life much easier.
The seat should be the right size for your child. We spoke about weight limits above, just in case read the specifications for the infant car seat you have chosen.
A 5-point harness is the safest and secures your child the best.
Having side impact protection is an added safety feature. This is important for obvious reasons but in addition to that they offer protection from side impact air bags. Air bags are great but not for children.
Having an easy harness adjustment will make your life much easier in the long run. If you have to take the chair apart (or out of the car) to adjust the harnesses it is a real pain. Easy is better as long as it does not take away from safety.
Having a removable base is a plus as stated above. Makes it much easier in bad weather or if your baby falls asleep.
A convertible infant seat lets you use it longer since you can use it for both infants and toddlers.
Make sure the infant seat actually fits in your car. That is probably not something most of us would thing about but the seat needs to fit.
Easy to carry. Being light weight and having a convenient carrying handle if it is removable from its base is a must.
A canopy to provide sun protection is a nice plus as well. If it does have a canopy, make sure it has a peekaboo window so you can keep an eye on your infant.
Here are our recommendations.
- SafeCell Impact Protection is an integrated system of safety components, including an Impact Absorbing Base, Tether and Harness, an Impact Stabilizing Steel Frame, and Complete Side Impact Protection.
- SafeCell Complete Side Impact Protection surrounds your child in a deep protective shell designed to absorb crash forces and shield your child from debris.
- Tangle-Free, 5-Point Harness prevents the straps from twisting making it easier to load your child into the seat and ensuring a safer ride.
- 3 Recline Positions for your child’s comfort and safety.Check that the back angle of the child seat is 30° – 45° from vertical (not to exceed 45°) when the car is parked on a level surface.
- Quick-Adjust 2-Position Buckle allows you to easily move the buckle outward for a comfortable, secure fit as your child grows.
Can be used as both a rear-facing car seat for children 5- 40 pounds and as a forward-facing car seat for kids 20-55 pounds and 1+ years old.
Protect the people you love most with the #1 brand in safety technology. Made in the USA with global components, the Marathon Convertible Car Seat shields your child in SafeCell Impact Protection so you’re assured your child is well protected.
SafeCell Impact Protection is an integrated system of safety components found only in Britax car seats. These components include a steel frame, energy-absorbing base and impact-absorbing tether with staged-release stitches that slow and reduce forward movement during a crash.
- ClickTight Installation System is the safest and simplest technology on the market; Open the front of the car seat, buckle the seat belt across and click the seat shut; That’s all you need to do for rock-solid installation
- SafeCell Impact Protection is a safety system including a steel frame, energy-absorbing base, V-shaped tether to minimize seat rotation and staged-release stitches that slow and reduce forward movement during a crash
- Side impact protection, formed by a deep foam-lined shell, absorbs energy and shields your child from the most dangerous type of collision
- Quick-adjust 12-position harness and 2-position buckle allows you to easily move the harness upward and buckle outward for a comfortable secure fit as your child grows
- 7-position recline with automatic level indicator adjusts for your child’s comfort while ensuring the best installation angle for your vehicle
Can be used as both a rear-facing car seat for children 5-40 pounds and as a forward-facing car seat for kids 20-65 pounds and 1+ years old.
Protect the people you love most with the #1 brand* in safety technology. The Marathon ClickTight Convertible Car Seat has the groundbreaking ClickTight Installation System for the easiest installation ever. And the seat shields your child in thorough SafeCell Impact Protection so you can hit the road with the utmost confidence your child is safe – in a seat made in the USA with global components.
Just open the front of the car seat, buckle the seat belt across and click the seat shut. That’s all you need to do for rock-solid installation. The seat won’t budge and you can travel worry-free with your child.
SafeCell Impact Protection is an integrated system of safety components available only with Britax car seats. These features include a steel frame, energy-absorbing base and impact-absorbing tether with staged-release stitches that slow and reduce forward movement during a crash.
- Ultra-lightweight infant car seat for easy carrying
- Rear Facing Infant; Age: up to 2 years old; Weight: 4 to 40 Ibs; Height: up to 32″
- Click Connect system provides a one-step secure attachment to all Graco Click Connect Strollers to create a travel system
- Engineered & crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213 & side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built-in 5-point harness system Rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed U.S. safety standards
The Graco SnugRide Click Connect 30 is an ultra lightweight infant car seat which makes it easy for mom to carry baby from car to stroller and everywhere in between. The seat is designed to protect babies rear-facing from 4-30 lb and features a comfortable seat to keep baby safe and cozy.
You can also make your own travel system with the Graco SnugRide 30 Infant Car Seat! It attaches to all Graco Click Connect strollers (sold separately) with a secure one-step attachment. From the car straight to the stroller, Graco makes it easier than ever to take your baby on the go!
Graco knows that safety is your number one priority when choosing a car seat for your most precious cargo! The Graco SnugRide 30 Infant Car Seat undergoes rigorous safety testing, so it’s no wonder parents feel confident and secure when they fasten a Graco 5-point harness around their little one.
SafeSeat Engineering is a series of testing protocols developed by Graco Car Seat Engineers and Test Technicians to improve the safety of our car seats. All Graco car seats are engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213.
The Baby Trend Flex-Loc #1 rated infant car seat for safety, and ease of installation. Safety features include an easy one hand front adjust 5-point safety harness; and the EPS energy-absorbing foam for superior side impact head protection.
Safety and adjustable comfort features are what make the Baby Trend design the #1 rated infant car seat, the car seat has a front adjustable safety harness to allow simple harness adjustments to insure proper fit and allow the infant car seat to grow with your child.
Our easy installation base with our exclusive Flex-Lock latch system and standard 4-position push button height adjustment with a level indicator, both assist in simple, trouble free installation.
Our Flex lock Infant Car Seat also comes with a smooth carry handle that won’t scratch your arms when carrying your infant in and out of your car. This car seat can accommodate infants from 5-30 pounds (2.2 and 13.6kg) and up to 30″ (76.2cm).
- Ultra-lightweight infant car seat is easy to transport from the car to the stroller and everywhere in between
- Rear-facing newborn car seat helps protect infants from 4 – 35 pounds; and up to 32″, making it an excellent first car seat for baby
- Click Connect system provides a one-step secure attachment between the rear facing car seat to all Graco Click Connect Strollers to create a travel system
- These Graco infant car seats are rigorously crash tested to meet or exceed US safety standards and reassure safety-conscious parents
- SafeSeat Engineered and crash tested to meet or exceed US standard FMVSS 213
The SnugRide Click Connect 35 Infant Car Seat is an ultra-lightweight infant car seat. It’s part of Graco’s top line of infant car seats, and helps make it easy to transport your little one from home to the car and everywhere in between.
The Graco SnugRide 35 is a rear-facing car seat helps protect infants from 4 – 35 pounds and up to 32 inches, making it an excellent first car seat for baby. The SnugRide family of infant car seats is a top choice, both by moms and by leading consumer publications.
This terrific infant car seat is equipped with Click Connect technology. It provides a secure, one-step attachment between infant car seats to all Graco Click Connect Strollers to create your own custom travel system. Just set the car seat into either a Graco Click Connect stroller or into the included infant car seat base and you’ll hear a ‘click’, letting you know it’s securely attached.
This terrific Graco infant car seat’s base is designed to make installation easy and simple for you. The convenient stay-in-car base is LATCH-equipped for hassle-free installation, and it features an easy-to-read level indicator, which helps eliminate installation guesswork. You can feel confident that you’ve installed your infant car seat correctly.
- BUILT TO GROW: The 3-in-1 car seat built to GROW for extended use through 3 stages: Rear-facing 5-40 pounds, Forward-facing 22-65 pounds, and Belt-positioning booster 40-100 pounds
- SIDE IMPACT PROTECTION: The Grow and Go’s side impact protection helps keep your child safe. 3-position recline makes it easy to get a good fit in your car
- EASY IN, EASY OUT: Harness holders keep the harness in an open position so it’s easy to get your child in and out of the seat
- QUICKFIT HARNESS: With the QuickFit Harness you can easily adjust both the harness and headrest in one simple step
- WASH AND DRY: Machine washable and dryer safe seat pad features snaps that make it simple to take off of the seat; no fuss for truly easy cleaning
From your first ride together coming home from the hospital to soccer day car pools, the 3-in-1 Grow and Go Car Seat will give your child a safer and more comfortable ride. Featuring extended use at each stage, this convertible car seat is designed to last through all your firsts with your child.
For newborns to growing toddlers, the Grow and Go can be used in the rear-facing position from 5-40 pounds.
In forward-facing mode, the Grow and Go keeps your child protected in a harness up to 65 pounds.
When your child is ready to use the vehicle seat belts, remove the harness to use the Grow and Go 3-in-1 Car Seat in belt-positioning booster mode: Up to 100 pounds.
As your tiny baby grows into a big kid, messes are bound to happen, but the Grow and Go car seat pad makes cleanup easy. Machine washable and dryer safe, it is also designed to come off the seat easily, with no need to remove the harness.
- VERSATILE & CONVENIENT: This Rear-Facing Infant Car Seat fitting newborns and babies from 4-35 pounds includes a stay-in-car convenience base that minimizes overall parent effort
- TESTED & TRUSTED: In addition to meeting or exceeding all applicable federal safety standards, this car seat also passes Evenflo’s comprehensive Side Impact and industry leading Rollover Test Standards
- LIGHTWEIGHT & EASY TO CARRY: The extremely lightweight design equipped with a padded, ergonomic handle is uniquely crafted to make carrying your infant or newborn as comfortable as possible
- EASY TO INSTALL: The LiteMax 35 comes with an easy to install base equipped with a two-step vehicle belt lock-off for a quick and secure installation and provides 4 recline options top optimize your child’s comfort
- OTHER VALUABLE FEATURES: Buckle pockets that neatly tuck the buckle tongues away, machine washable pads, removable head and body pillows, and full coverage canopy to protect your child from the elements
- Base adjusts to level car seat and achieve proper positioning in the vehicle.
Evenflo continues to redefine industry standards with ROLLOVER TESTED car seats. The LiteMax 35 Infant Car Seat is the easiest car seat to carry. It is designed with your lifestyle in mind. It’s extremely lightweight carrier and ergo handle, is uniquely designed for your maximum comfort as you carry your little one. The LiteMax 35 also comes with an easy to install base equipped with a two step vehicle belt lock-off for a quick and secure installation. LiteMax 35 also provides 4 recline options to optimize your child’s comfort on those long car rides .
Neatly and smartly tuck the buckle tongues away, making it easier and safer to get a child in and out of the seat without worrying about burns from hot buckles.
Belt Lock-off for easy and accurate install with the seatbelt every time.
- Child Standing Height:32 inches or less. Child Seated Shoulder Height:6.5 – 11 inches. Seat Back Compartment Height:20 inches. Seat Area Depth / Width:13/8.75 inches. Shoulder Width:10 inches. Harness Slot Heights:5/7/9/11 inches. Buckle Strap Depths:4/6 inches.
- Safe Cell Impact Protection is an integrated system of safety components that works to protect your child beyond federal safety standards. Impact-absorbing base compresses to reduce the rough force of a collision.
- Impact-stabilizing steel frame offers superior strength where you need it most at the connection point to the vehicle. Removable head pad acts as a cushion for your child and can be removed when your baby outgrows it. Spring-assisted recline makes for easy angle adjustment
- Click & Go stroller compatibility allows you to pair the seat with any Britax stroller to customize the perfect travel system. No adapters necessary.
- Proudly engineered, tested and made in the USA with global components for top safety and quality.
- Rear-facing, for infants 4-35 pounds. Can be attached to a stroller. Keep the base in your car for easy transitions.
- A deep shell lined with energy-absorbing foam shields your child from front and side impacts.
- The contoured shell takes up little space in your vehicle and minimizes side-to-side movement to maximize protection.
Protect the people you love most with the #1 brand in safety technology*. The B-Safe 35 is your smart choice for an infant car seat with patented SafeCell Impact Protection, an impact-absorbing base and easy installation – all made in the USA with global components.
SafeCell Impact Protection is an integrated system of safety components found only in Britax car seats. Components include a steel frame for strength and a base that compresses to absorb energy during a collision.
Parenting can be overwhelming. Make it easier with SafeCenter Latch. Safely install the seat’s base using the center-pull straps and quick, push-button, lower Latch connectors.